Historical timeline

When the Western Australian Institute of Technology (WAIT) began teaching students in 1967, it drew on a rich history of technical education in Western Australia to offer industry-focused higher education courses to a booming post-war population. The key organisational milestones in our subsequent journey to becoming the state’s largest and most multicultural university are highlighted below.

1900

Early origins

Historical image of Perth Boys School

Curtin’s genesis comes about when Perth Technical School is established (later to be renamed Perth Technical College).

1950s

Post-war educational push

Education was seen as the key to economic development for Western Australia’s booming population following World War II. With the Perth Technical College bursting at the seams, plans were developed for a new, specialised tertiary institution to serve the professional needs of industry. On 19 June 1962, Premier David Brand announced that a new type of ‘college’ would be built at Bentley.

WAIT’s early champions

WAIT came about thanks to the vision and efforts of four key figures in Western Australia’s post-war educational scene: Dr Lesley Phillips, Superintendent of Technical Education (1943 to 1948); his successor, William George Inglis (George) Hayman; Thomas Logan (TL) Robertson (pictured), the WA Director of Education; and Dr Haydn Williams, the Director of Technical Education, who would go on to become WAIT’s first director (see ‘Our Leaders’ profile).

1966

Bentley campus is established

The major infrastructure is completed for the Western Australian Institute of Technology (WAIT) at Bentley, on Noongar land that is the site of the former Collier Pine Plantation. The WAIT Act receives assent in December, with a mandate for the new institution to provide practically focused higher education courses, relevant to the needs of industry.  The establishment of WAIT effectively splits the Perth Technical College in two, with those courses not transferring to WAIT remaining in the reduced-sized technical college, later to become Central TAFE.

1967

WAIT opens

The new institute opens with almost 3,000 students.

1968

Student power

The Student Guild is established, and the first Guild Council took office on February the following year with Tom Silvan, a pharmacy student, as President.

1969

WASM and Muresk join with WAIT

Two of Western Australia’s key educational institutions for the important mining and agricultural industries join WAIT soon after its establishment: the Western Australian School of Mines in Kalgoorlie, established in 1902, and the Muresk Agricultural College in Northam, established in 1926.

Therapies join the fold

WAIT takes responsibility for the state’s physiotherapy, occupational therapy and chiropody disciplines.

1971

Library and computing facilities welcomed

Historical photo of Curtin library

WAIT’s main library, the TL Robertson Library, opens, along with another vital student service, the Computer Centre.

1972

Shenton Park campus opens

The Shenton Park campus of WAIT opens, housing the Department of Therapies.

1976

A radio first

Radio 6NR is established at WAIT, Western Australia’s first community radio station – later renamed Curtin FM.

1979

Hockey finds a home

Historical image of Curtin hockey stadium

The Commonwealth Hockey Stadium (later to be known as the Perth Hockey Stadium) opens at WAIT.

1985

A more equitable approach

Curtin commits to equal opportunity approach to employment, for women in the first instance, and later for Aboriginal people and other disadvantaged groups.

1986

University status conferred

The WAIT Amendment Act passes on 3 December and is proclaimed on 19 December, enabling WAIT’s status to be changed to that of a university.

1987

WAIT becomes Curtin

WAIT begins operating as Curtin University of Technology – Australia’s first university of technology. The Curtin name was taken from the influential and widely revered former Prime Minister of Australia, John Curtin.

1992

Learning goes off-campus

Curtin joins the Open Learning program (now known as Open Universities Australia) to provide flexible education opportunities to students unable to attend campus.

1993

City presence established

The Curtin Graduate School of Business opens in 1993, building on the success of Curtin’s MBA program. The new graduate school is strategically located in St Georges Terrace in the Perth CBD to be closer to the business community from which many of its students will be drawn. In 2002, the GSB upgrades to alternative city premises in Murray Street, where it continues to build its profile and reputation.

1994

A new home for Indigenous students and staff

The purpose-built Centre for Aboriginal Studies opens, offering a sense of place for Aboriginal students and staff and cementing Curtin’s strong commitment to increasing educational opportunities, self-empowerment and recognition for Indigenous people.

Social spirit is harnessed

Curtin Volunteers! is established as a non-profit organisation to provide a vehicle for students to carry out community projects, honouring the spirit and legacy of John Curtin. It gives rise to the annual John Curtin Weekend activities which see students heading out to regional towns across the state to support a wide range of community-building activities.

1997

New heart for the Bentley campus

Historical image of John Curtin Centre

The John Curtin Centre opens, introducing a signature ‘red brick’ architectural style to Curtin, honouring the University’s namesake and paving the way for a greater public profile for the University – through the John Curtin Gallery, John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library, and an impressive outdoor public forum.

Honouring John Curtin’s legacy

The John Curtin Medal is established as Curtin’s most prestigious non-academic award, recognising individuals in the community who have made a significant contribution in their field and who have exhibited John Curtin’s qualities of vision, leadership and community service. It signals the University’s strong commitment to social advancement and engagement.

1998

Committing to reconciliation

Curtin signs a Statement of Reconciliation and Commitment, signalling its commitment to building relationships, respect and trust between the wider Australian community and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.

1999

Pathway college established at Bentley

Curtin International College is established at the Bentley campus, providing a pathway into Curtin for students who have not met university entry requirements through their secondary schooling. The College, which attracts students from many countries, is run by private company, IBT Education (later to be known as Navitas) in partnership with Curtin. It is later renamed Curtin College.

2002

First offshore campus opens in Malaysia

Curtin Malaysia officially opens as Curtin’s first permanent offshore campus, quickly establishing itself as the ‘gold standard’ of international education.

2005

Regional presence expands

Curtin expands its regional presence to include facilities in Esperance and Margaret River. These activities have since ceased.

Sydney campus opens

The Sydney campus opens its doors, offering undergraduate and postgraduate business courses. A decision is later made to close the campus in early 2017.

2008

Second offshore campus opens in Singapore

Curtin uni Singapore campus

Curtin Singapore, Curtin’s second permanent offshore campus, is opened.

Reconciliation Action Plan a first

Curtin becomes the first Australian teaching and research institution to develop its own Reconciliation Action Plan to strategically address shortcomings that exist between indigenous and non-indigenous Australians within the University’s framework.

2009

Resources and Chemistry precinct opens

The Resources and Chemistry Precinct opens as an innovative collaboration between university, industry and community, demonstrating Curtin’s pre-eminence in the resources and energy space.

A new sporting asset

The Curtin Stadium is opened, supporting the University’s strategies around health and wellbeing, community access and elite athletes.

2010

A new name

Curtin University of Technology begins trading as Curtin University, to better position itself in international markets, especially in Asia.

Greater Curtin

Planning begins in earnest on the Greater Curtin master plan, outlining Curtin’s 2030 vision for bringing research, business and creative knowledge together in a vibrant, urban knowledge hub on the Perth campus. The plan provides for the development of sustainably designed office, retail, transport and accommodation facilities to effectively turn Curtin into a university town.

2013

New law school opens

The Curtin Law School is launched, initially running its programs from the Bentley campus.

Curtin embraces MOOCs

Massive, open, online courses, or MOOCs, are offered for the first time, one of many digital strategies embraced by the University as it repositions its teaching and learning platforms for the digital age.

Curtin assumes responsibility for the Herbert Mayer Collection of Carrolup Artworks

In an important example of international, cultural, and educational collaboration, Colgate University in New York transferred 119 Indigenous artworks to Curtin University. The works were created by Noongar children who were part of Australia’s Stolen Generations and are a significant part of the heritage and history of the region.

2016

City presence expands

Curtin expands its city presence to three heritage locations in the CBD with the shift of the Curtin Law School to new premises at 57 Murray Street and the opening of Curtin University St Georges Terrace, at the historic Old Perth Boys’ School site, as a hub for community and stakeholder engagement. Constructed in 1854, the building was the first purpose-built public school in Perth and has historic links to the University.

2017

50 Years of Innovation

Curtin marks 50 years since the opening of its predecessor institution, the WA Institute of Technology, accepted its first students.  The anniversary was celebrated throughout the year on all campuses under the banner of ’50 Years of Innovation’.

Opening of Curtin Medical School

The Curtin Medical School is opened by Premier Colin Barnett and offers the only undergraduate medical degree course in WA. The School was established to increase the number of doctors in the State and better meet the needs of under-serviced areas of health care.

Opening of Dubai campus

Curtin’s third international campus is opened in Dubai International Academic City by the Australian Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates.  The campus strengthened Curtin’s standing as a global university and a recognised international leader in research and education.

Aberdeen-Curtin Alliance established

Curtin joins forces with the University of Aberdeen to establish an alliance to deliver high-impact research and innovative teaching programs across four key areas: energy, medicine and health, creative arts and business.

2018

Opening of Mauritius campus

The Curtin Mauritius campus is opened by the Prime Minister of Mauritius, the Hon Pravind Kumar Jugnauth. It is the University’s fourth overseas campus and builds on a long term partnership with the Charles Telfair Institute, which has delivered Curtin degree programs in Mauritius since 2004.

Nowanup Bush Campus partnership

Curtin University and Gondwana Link sign a Statement of Intent to deliver learning opportunities about Noongar culture, language and history in an innovative learning space set in WA’s bushland near Nowanup. The Statement of Intent will guide on-country education programs for Curtin staff and students at Nowanup, as well as the development of a Noongar teaching framework.

Launch of Curtin’s first Elevate RAP

Curtin University confirms its commitment to leading national reconciliation action by launching its Elevate Reconciliation Plan (RAP). An Elevate RAP recognises Curtin as being able to take a leadership role in advancing national reconciliation to empower Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and to create social change.

Rankings

Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide in the highly regarded Academic Ranking of World Universities 2018.

2019

Opening of 137 St Georges Terrace

Historic premises at 137 St Georges Terrace are opened by Curtin University as an additional city-based location offering new learning opportunities for business professionals and postgraduate students.